[Quaker-MM] AfterWords

Frank Cranmer Frank.Cranmer at centrallobby.com
Wed Feb 13 15:14:13 PST 2008

Dear Friends

Since I replied to Rand directly, I think I'd better say "hello" generally.

I'm Co-Clerk of my Local Meeting (Brentford & Isleworth in West London) and an elder. I've been a Quaker for about eight years. Before that I was a cradle Anglican, but I finally came to the conclusion that I didn't believe in the Trinity so it was time to go. We’re a fairly small Meeting (about twenty on a Sunday morning) and I guess that the reason why Nominations thought of me for Assistant Clerk was simply that if I’m in London on a Sunday morning I go to Meeting. A lifetime of going to church on Sunday morning means that it’s in my bones – and not all Friends approach attendance at MfW in quite that way. So I reckon that being asked to be Clerk can be a bit like Lord Melbourne’s observation on the Order of the Garter: he liked it because “there’s no damned merit in it”.

Frank